Sunday, January 11, 2009

Week 31

Here is the belly at 31 weeks...
A few days after Christmas we had more guests arrive!! Grandma and Grandpa Bullock! :) Haha! They drove down with Scarlett to visit us. They got here on Saturday afternoon and their first night we had a nice dinner at a restaurant on the water called The Chart House. It was soooooo good and I even managed to eat and still pass my blood sugar limits.

Yes I am still checking the sugars and so far I don't have to go on medication b/c it is being controlled with diet and exercise. Let me explain this b/c everyone always asks me...basically gestational diabetes isn't really like regular diabetes at all. My body still makes insulin like it normally would, but since I am pregnant the placenta is soaking it all up so that my body is unable to use it, therefore I am not breaking down sugars properly and so my blood sugar is elevated. It doesn't hurt the baby except that it puts me at risk of gaining more weight, thus the baby being bigger. So far the baby is measuring perfectly so we are good.

When you have a large baby you are more likely to either deliver earlier than normal or have a ceserean section. Some people have to go on medication to keep their sugars down, but not everyone. Basically I eat a low-carb diet and avoid sweets/white breads/rice that kind of thing. No more icecream for me! :( Oh well. Ed and I have also been walking twice a day for 1.5 miles each time, which we probably should have been doing anyways. No I don't have diabetes, when I have the baby my body will go back to normal. No, the baby doesn't have diabetes (everyone asks that). It's really not a big deal at all as long as I keep my sugars under control.

Okay back to week 31. We had a lovely dinner at the Chart House and then came back to our house and opened Christmas presents. Scarlett and Hope got to play with each other (they are BFF's). Ed got a Bose speaker for his ipod. The sound quality is insane! This was perfect b/c we had a smaller speaker and now we are going to put it in the baby's room. We loaded Ed's old ipod with baby music and so the baby already has its own ipod sound system in the nursery. I got a huge KitchenAid mixer that I can't wait to use!! I have to hold off a little while until the baby is born b/c I can't make any "fun" stuff right now. I really want to use it to make cookies. I've always wanted one.

Sunday we had brunch/lunch at the Hilton and then got ready for the Steelers game. Unfortunately it wasn't on tv so we had to find somewhere to watch it. We went to a few places and they were crowded so we finally settled at Beef O'Brady's. Here is a picture of Ed and his mom rooting for the Steelers!!

Sunday night Aunt Kathy, Uncle John and cousins Ashleigh, Alyssa, & Jonathan came over to visit. They were in FL visiting their other grandparents and were nice enough to drive up to see us and our new house!! We had a great time with them. We got to talk and even got everyone to play some Guitar Hero. Here are some pictures of that...



That Monday it was back to work after the holidays. :( Time to get ready for Happy New Year! Not much to report about that...I was in bed by 9:30 and had to work the next day. Oh well. Maybe we will get to party next year.

0 comments: